It is possible to complete the Linguistics major in two years at the Atlanta campus.
If you are interested in the Joint Psychology and Linguistics Major, we recommend that you meet some of the Psychology requirements while at Oxford.
It is possible to complete the Linguistics major in two years at the Atlanta Emory campus.
The linguistics major consists of eleven courses, including two foreign language courses (at the 200 level or above), and three electives. The following courses are now offered at Oxford. Please check the Atlas for the semester the course will be offered and for the details:
- LING 101. History of the American Languages
- LING 201. Foundations of Linguistics (crosslisted with ANT 203)
- LING 212. Structure of Human Language
- LING 318 Second Language Acquisition
- LING 340. Topics in Sociolinguistics (crosslisted with ANT 340)
- LING 360. The English Language (crosslisted with ENG 360)
- LING 397R. Directed Study in Linguistics
- Two courses in one foreign language at the 200-level or above or
- Two courses in two different foreign languages at any level, with approval from the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
NOTE: Students participating in the Amsterdam Study Abroad Program may use introductory Dutch to satisfy one semester of this requirement.
If you are unable to take any Linguistics courses at Oxford, the first two courses to take at Emory should be LING 101 and 201. Most of the cross-listed courses do not require prerequisites, and therefore, students can take many of them at any time. However, we recommend that you start with LING 101 or 201. Also, you should take LING 201 before taking LING 210, 212, or 214.
Here is an example of what a student's schedule may look like within a 2 year period at Emory:
1. The Basic Psychology Courses offered at Oxford:
- PSYC 110 Intro to Psych I: Psychobiology and Cognition
- PSYC 111 Intro to Psych II: Development, Social Behavior, and Individivual Differences
- PSYC 200 Laboratory in Experimental Methods
- QTM 100 Introduction to Statistical Inference
QTM 100 ≠ MATH 107 or 117
If you have completed Math 107 or 117 you will still need to take QTM 100 for the Joint Psychology & Linguistics major. Taking Math 107 or 117 does not exempt you from this requirement. There are theoretical math courses that discusse statistical concepts from a math perspective. QTM 100 is an applied course which takes those math concepts and shows you how to apply them to the types of behavioral data that psychologists work with. In addition, you will also learn to use statistical analysis packages on the computer.
2. The Basic Linguistics Courses offered at Oxford:
- LING 101 History of the American Languages
- LING 201 Foundations of Linguistics (crosslisted with ANT 203)
3. A/P Credit
Students who receive academic credit for their scores on the AP Examination in Psychology will be granted an exemption from PSYC 111. The student is still required to complete 13 courses total for the major, including the first half of the Introductory Requirement, PSYC 110. Students who receive A/P credit will need to take an additional Psychology Elective to fulfill the major.
Other Linguistics or Psychology courses, not listed above, may be used to meet the electives component of the Psychology and Linguistics major. The complete list of required courses can be found here: http://linguistics.emory.edu/home/academics/jointmajor/index.html